Improv Acting Classes are for everyone. You may believe they are only for actors or writers, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. The skills learned in our classes will make you a much sharper, courageous, smarter version of yourself. Imagine having full control of your emotions and reactions in some of the most stressful moments of your life. Take a class. See what we mean.
Our instructors are highly experienced and play in our shows nearly every weekend. It’s so important to have instructors that play on a regular basis so that they can stay fresh. Each instructor has been through our series of classes so they know exactly how to deliver the material to you. We constantly audit, evaluate and review our instructors so that they are teaching in a consistent way using the curriculum we have developed so there is never a disconnect from level to level. We also try to make it so that you get a variety of instructors through your time here at Sick Puppies Comedy so you can see different styles and points of view.
LIVE CLASSES: We offer 5 levels of Improv Acting Classes, Two Levels of Stand Up Classes, Sketch Writing and The Tao Of Improv. Each level of a series is 7 weeks. Improv Classes have 7 weeks of instruction completed with a 25 minute student showcase to open up one of our main stage shows on a Friday or Saturday night. Stand Up and Sketch are 7 instructional classes with the possibility of making it into the show if the instructor approves. All Classes currently take place at Center Stage In Boca Raton @ 7200 W Camino Real #330, Boca Raton, FL 33433.
Each class is $275 with the following perks:
- Free Shows: Come see any Sick Puppies Comedy Show for Free with the Exception of special events
- Discounts on Workshops and Special Events
- Complimentary admission to many South Florida Improv companies.
- Once you complete all 5 levels of the Improv Series, you receive complimentary show admissions for the rest of your life!
Need a Payment Plan? Click Here
In this 5 Level series we take you from Beginner to Expert. Some people associate improv with the TV Show Whose Line is It Anyway and we will be playing some of the games you see in that show, but also incorporating influences from Second City, Io (formerly Improv Olympic), UCB, The Groundlings and many other improv programs around the country.
- Level 1: (No Prerequisite Required) Permission to Play – Learn the basics of improv, how to think quicker on your feet, trust and act on impulse, become more comfortable with the unknown react in a true and honest way and build self confidence. This level is for everyone. We believe that everyone should learn how to improvise to be more flexible, work on group collaboration, and have mindfulness.
- Level 2: (Level 1 Required or Audition) Developing Characters in Scenes – Learn how to create interesting and robust characters in scenes that operate from the of intelligence while recognizing patterns in scenes, collecting information and clues on how to heighten scenes and throw away unnecessary details as well. Continue to be introduced to new short form games to help your characters develop.
- Level 3: (Level 1 and 2 required) Intro to Long Form – Learn how to improvise for an infinite amount of time. Never run out of ideas, characters or “what’s next”. You’ll be introduced to long form structure and forms becoming more comfortable in longer scenes, trusting of your scene partner and playing in the moment (not forcing the funny). We will also identify “Group Mind”.
- Level 4: (Levels 1-3 required) Advanced Long Form – This level deepens your skill set by finding truthfulness, creating strong base realities, authentic relationship, and intros. This class should give you the confidence to improvise with anyone in the country.
- Level 5: (Levels 1-4 required) The Harold – This is the Holy Grail of Improvisation. Developed in the 80’s by Charna Halpern and Del Close, this is the universal format that all improvisers are familiar with. However, it is the most involved of any format. You essentially learn how to improvise a play from start to finish.
STAND UP CLASSES
- Online Stand Up Class! – Yes, You can learn how to do Stand Up comedy Online. 6 sections with 21 Lessons take you step by step on how to write a joke, use a microphone and get on stage! CLICK HERE TO GO TO THAT CLASS
- Introduction to Stand Up Class (No Prerequisite required) – Learn how to write and perform stand up comedy. The goal is for you to have a funny 5 minute set that you can perform at any open mic or stand up event with confidence. Learn some of the business of Stand Up Comedy and what it takes to make it.
- Advanced Stand Up Comedy (Audition or Intro to Stand Up required) – Learn how to become a focused writer, create a system for success that puts you up on stage often and collaborate with your class to help find your “voice”.
Learn to write short and funny sketches similar to those you might find on SNL or Second City or the web! This class is just 6 weeks of instruction.
TAO OF IMPROV
You can only find this class here, at Sick Puppies Comedy. Author of the book, The Tao of Improv, Tom Neile takes any improviser at any skill level and has them doing incredible improv in just 7 weeks. You have to be thick skinned and take criticism. It’s coached more like a contact sport than an acting class.
Refund and Cancellation Policy: All Sales are final. There are no refunds or returns. You may qualify for a credit or transfer to another class with a written request.