My wife is intelligent. She’s beautiful. She has a better sense of humor than I do. She’s giving and loving and all of the things that make her my favorite person in the world. I say this because it’s rare that I get to point out an imperfection. She once told me that she thought people were saying “let’s play it by year” when they were saying “let’s play it by ear”. She said “you know, it makes sense because because their schedule is so lenient that you can just do it within a year’s time.” Good justification.
Now that the Puppies are a year old, I think the adage applies:
September 3, 2012 – I accept the position of Improv Teacher at Showtime Performing Arts Theatre. I ask Marilyn Perry if I can start a Troupe there. She says Yes.
October 17, 2012. – Our audition. Everyone that auditions is accepted. Our audition became our first rehearsal. It certainly helped to know almost everyone coming to the audition ahead of time. Recruiting.
November 2, 2012 – Our first show. We played to a whopping 25 people. Turns out it would be our largest crowd of 2012. My parents were there to see it. I was proud.
November 7, 2012 – Our first set of improv classes begin. 5 of the best students you could ever ask for.
February 8, 2013 – Our first sell out show. We move on to sell out the next 7 out of 10 shows. Attendance never falls below 70% capacity.
July 12 and 13, 2013 – Our first Improv Festival. The Sarasota Improv Festival changes our improv lives. Personally, it was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had.
August 1, 2013 – We hire our first group of Sales People to promote the company.
August 22, 2013 – We graduate our first class that passes all five levels of the Sick Puppies Improv Curriculum.
August 31st, 2013 – The Puppies Take their show on the road at Just the Funny and begin to establish a regular presence at another stage.
October 11, 2013 – We celebrate our Anniversary.
Stats – 47 adult students, 50 child students, 24 shows, 1144 audience members, 11 cast members, 3 alumni and 586 fans on Facebook.
We are into our second year and we have some more plans:
- Stand Up Comedy – The Puppies have brought In Tony Rivera to begin recruiting a team of stand up comics and deliver a package show with guaranteed Sick Puppies quality.
- More Shows – We hope to be performing to the public at least once a week in the near future. We are almost at 3 times a month now.
- 1000 Facebook Fans – It sounds meaningless, but I put it out there a while back that if we hit this mark, we’d send $100 to The Tri-County Humane Society. We’ll continue to do it every 1000 fans we get.
- Junior Troupe – A working troupe to fill in for main stage cast members and possibly fill shows of their own
- Projects – The Troupe is tremendously talented. We have a number of tricks up our sleeves. Who knows what direction we head next with our wild ideas.
Thank you so much for supporting us, visiting our website, seeing our shows, joining our classes and participating in our events. We hope that you’ll provide us feedback so you can feel like you have equity in this with us.